It can be difficult to choose the right plant-based milk due to the overwhelming amount of options that are available on the market. So we’ve put together this handy guide to help you decide.
62% of UK consumers have previously purchased plant-based milk. Among those, 70% buy plant-based milks at least once or twice a month. – The Grocer
Why Do People Choose a Non-Dairy Milk Alternative?
There are many benefits to drinking plant milk, both from an environmental and nutritional perspective.
Non-dairy options appeal to many people due to sustainability concerns as well as health concerns. In comparison, plants used in alternative milk beverages require less land, water, energy, and fertiliser than dairy cows do.
Other reasons for choosing non-dairy milk include
- ✓ An intolerance to lactose
- ✓ Allergies to milk
- ✓ A vegan lifestyle or diet
- ✓ Inflammation concerns
- ✓ IBS or Crohn’s and Colitis
- ✓ Concerns about ethical issues
- ✓ Promote Sustainability
- ✓ Less impact on the Environment
Are Plant Milks Healthy?
Dairy-free diets help your body and overall health in a number of ways, such as improving digestion, preventing acne, promoting weight loss, improving metabolism, increasing energy levels, and preventing inflammation that could lead to the growth of harmful bacteria which is linked to chronic diseases and conditions such as leaky gut.
Plant-based milk is gaining in popularity as a convenient and healthy alternative to cow’s milk.
What are the Benefits of Plant-based Milk?
Some of the health benefits of plant-based milk include:
- It’s a rich source of vitamins and minerals
- Their fat content is generally low
- They are cholesterol-free
- They have a good mixture of mono- and polyunsaturated fats
- Ideal for people with a slow digestive system
What Types of Plant Milk are Available at AMT Coffee?
At AMT Coffee we serve soy, coconut, and oat milk as tend to be creamier in consistency than other plant-based milks, making them ideal for adding to coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.
Soy milk and cow’s milk have comparable protein contents, so it is a great vegan option.
Soy Milk Benefits
- Soy milk contains a lot of protein and can help promote a balanced diet.
- Women going through menopause benefit from drinking soy milk
- Contains essential monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fatty acids (the healthy fats), which aid in lowering cholesterol and promoting cardiovascular health.
Oat milk has become a favorite with customers due to its creamy texture. Its impressive nutritional profile includes B vitamins Thiamine and Folate, as well as minerals Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Zinc, and Copper.
Oat Milk Benefits
- Suitable for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
- Beta-glucans (soluble fibre) lower cholesterol levels.
- Calcium and vitamin D are often added to this vegan milk to boost bone health.
- Oat milk has soluble fibre that helps slow digestion and keeps you feeling fuller for longer.
- Can help stabilise blood sugar levels.
Coconut milk has a creamy texture similar to almond milk and is high in Potassium, Manganese, Magnesium, Calcium, Sodium, and Vitamin B. Coconut does contain saturated fat, but it’s also rich in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are known to increase metabolic rate, regulate appetite, and increase fat oxidation.
Coconut Milk Benefits
- Coconut milk contains triglycerides, which promotes energy.
- It may help improve one’s immune system.
- Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) may help promote an individual’s heart health by increasing HDL (good) cholesterol levels
- Decreases the levels of harmful low-density lipoproteins (bad cholesterol)
How do I choose the best plant-based milk?
The biggest consideration if you’re switching full-time is how you incorporate it into your diet. Most plant-based milks do not have the same nutritional profile as cow’s milk. If you want to switch to plant-based milk, pick one that is a good source of protein and calcium.
If you simply use milk with your coffee or a splash in your tea, the type of milk matters less. Find out what your taste is by experimenting with different dairy-free milks.
At AMT Coffee our plant-based milks are complimentary – wouldn’t it be great to try one today?